Out of town


I was in Denver last week. I've not had time to get up to speed on the latest Karl Rove revelations, or the latest Supreme Court news. Hopefully soon.

Of late I've spent a lot of time listening to RTE News from the Irish Republic. It's escapism pure and simple. Local news isn't as important as U.S. foreign policy, or domestic policy when that causes espionage and treason, but sometimes I just cannot stand our news. Especially when we're talking about the president's senior political advisor blowing the cover of a CIA agent for political payback. Does anyone remember when Dick Morris was one of Bill Clinton's political advisors, and he was caught sucking the toes of a whore? Remember the outcry? And he wasn't even the deputy chief of staff? Like Bob Dole, I'm asking "Where is the outrage?"

Anyway, since I was in Denver, and everyone on here who has been around for a while knows I like to eat, here are a few favorite places.

One was Sonoda Sushi. We went to the location on Market Street, and it is only the second sushi bar I've been to that does the sweet shrimp properly, bringing out the heads deep fried. The places I've been in DC do not. Tasty sushi.

The other is the Wynkoop Brewery. Great beer, including several hand pumped brews, cask-conditioned gravity feed on Wednesdays, a good scotch lineup, and a good kitchen. I had the grilled elk. Yum. The B3K swarzbier is excellent.

Finally, an all-purpose place near the Brown Palace, when you don't want to pay Brown Palace prices, is the Trinity Grille. The venison dinner platter is excellent, but avoid the beef and cheddar sandwich, it's grilled and too greasy. Coors $3 most of the time, $2 from 4 to 6 PM. And, yes, Coors tastes better out there :)

Popular posts from this blog