WMD?


Apparently not. I'm not sure how much damage this will do to the administration's credibility. It's pretty much shot with me. At this point, I don't think we will ever find any appreciable amount of chemical weapons. I used to think that, yes, Saddam Hussein's a very bad man, and should be ousted. I just didn't trust this administration to not "fuck it up completely, totally, and utterly".

So, what should we do now? Simple. Build democratic institutions, education, health care, public sanitation. Get the bureaucracy working again. Give the Ba'ath party a sponge Ba'ath (I slay myself!) and get the career civil servants back in their offices officiating. Impose a constitution separating church and state, outlawing military except for self-defense, and giving them the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The biggest problem is that we don't have an emperor already existing there to sell it to the people.

I know this is an impossible task, but when we started rolling toward Baghdad, we bought it. Now we have to make it work.

UPDATE: I just looked at another article on Yahoo! Here's a quote from it:
"The Iraqi people will choose their own leaders and their own government," Bush told an exuberant crowd that twice chanted "U-S-A, U-S-A," in Dearborn, a suburb of Detroit with deep Middle Eastern ties. "The days of oppression from any source are over," he said. "Iraq will be democratic."

What if the Shi'a majority chooses a theocracy? We went to war to rid the country of chemical weapons, and bring democracy to them. But if they choose a theocracy, what then?

Popular posts from this blog